This is a repeating eventseptember 15, 2023 10:00 am
ABA CILA & COI Pro Bono Symposium
Register Here The ABA’s Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA) & Commission on Immigration (COI) invite you to attend our first
The ABA’s Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA) & Commission on Immigration (COI) invite you to attend our first Pro Bono Symposium! We seek to facilitate learning about pro bono program management and to feature advocates working in pro bono programs across the nation. Presenters will share their experience and expertise in pro bono programs working with volunteers and/or pro bono attorneys. This will be a virtual event, via Zoom, spread over two half days.
The primary audience for this training includes staff members at legal nonprofit organizations from across the nation who are involved in the coordination of pro bono opportunities to help immigrant children and/or families facing removal proceedings, whether full time or part of your job. Others who are engaged in working with volunteers and/or pro bono attorneys are also welcome to attend. This training is not geared toward pro bono attorneys.
The training will cover various topics to enhance pro bono programs including pro bono recruitment, incorporating a trauma-informed approach into pro bono programs, and creative pro bono models. We hope the ABA CILA & COI Pro Bono Symposium leaves you refreshed and with ideas to continue working with immigrant children and families with courage, competency, compassion, and creativity in pro bono programs.
The presentations will include:
- ABA Standards: Best Practices in Developing Pro Bono Projects
- Sharing Lessons from the Lone Star State: Recruiting & Retaining Pro Bono Attorneys in a Post-Pandemic Landscape
- Building Resilience for Clients and Attorneys: A Trauma-Informed Approach to Pro Bono Legal Services
- Utilizing Volunteer Translators and Interpreters to Support Pro Bono Cases
- You’ve Got a Friend in Me: Enhancing Pro Bono Placement Through Friend of the Court Practice
- Integrating Social Work in Asylum Cases Placed with Pro Bono Attorneys
- Cross Country Creativity: Innovative Pro Bono Models from Several States
- Building Long-Term Pro Bono Relationships Through Creative Clinics
This training will be held on: Thursday, 9/14 from 1:00-6:00 (Eastern); 12:00-5:00 (Central); 10:00-3:00 (Pacific) & Friday, 9/15 from 11:00-4:30 (Eastern); 10:00-3:30 (Central); 8:00-1:30 (Pacific) (with a break for lunch) We look forward to seeing you then!
Please note the content of this program does not meet requirements for continuing legal education (CLE) accreditation. You will not receive CLE credit for participating.
(Thursday) 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm