This is a repeating eventmay 19, 2023 10:00 pm
5th Annual Champions for Immigrant Youth Symposium
Register Here The ABA Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA) invites you to Champions for Immigrant Youth
The ABA Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA) invites you to Champions for Immigrant Youth Symposium. The purpose of CILA’s Symposium is twofold: to facilitate learning about working with children who entered the United States unaccompanied and to spotlight and celebrate the amazing work being done by our fellow advocates around the country.
Across the country, advocates are working with courage, competency, compassion, and creativity to support children who entered the United States unaccompanied. The symposium will include presentations from these advocates on their experiences and expertise in working with children and youth in immigration proceedings, sharing legal strategies and best practices for working with youth. The training this year will cover a wide range of topics and will help advocates bolster their skills in working with unaccompanied youth to prepare their cases and to be more prepared advocates.
The presentations at the training will include:
• Putting up a Fight with NTAs
• When at First You Don’t Succeed… Strategies when USCIS Denies a Petition or Application
• Vicarious Trauma: Best Practices for Serving and Honoring Sexual Abuse Victims
• Working with Afghan Youth, Asylum, SIJS, and Funding for College
• T Visa Practice Updates & Best Practices for Children and Youth
• They Deserve a Real Chance Too: Cultivating Connections with Children Refusing Services
• Boyz to Men: How to Draft Declarations for Cases Involving Teenage Boys Who Survived Trauma
• Keeping the Work Sustainable: The Inside & Out of Trauma Informed Practice
The training will be held on: May 18: 1-6 (ET); 12-5 (CT); 10-3 (PT) May 19: 11-4:30 (ET): 10-3:30 (CT); 8-1:30 (PT) (with break for lunch)
This course has been approved for Minimum Continuing Legal Education credit by the State Bar of Texas Committee on MCLE in the amount of 8.00 hours of credit including 0.75 hours ethics.
(Thursday) 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm(GMT-05:00)