The ABA Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA) invites you to a webinar presentation for practitioners working on the state court order necessary for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS). As advocates helping youth navigate the legal immigration process, it is important to have knowledge of all the forms of immigration relief available to them, including SIJS. Many practitioners may be reluctant to take on an SIJS case because it requires an order from a state court before the immigrant petition can be filed. This webinar will give practitioners an overview of Texas family law and best practices for approaching SIJS custody cases in Texas Family Court. The webinar will cover topics including:
- Intro to SIJS and Suits Affecting Parent Child Relationship (SAPCR)
- Abuse, Neglect and Abandonment under the Texas Family Code
- Determining Parentage
- Identifying the Parties to Include in Your Suit
- Standing and Jurisdiction to File Suit
- Service of Process
- Drafting Petitions, Declarations and Orders
- Preparing Exhibits and Your Client for Trial
- Family Court Hearings in the Time of COVID
Please note: this presentation will be focused on working in the family court in the State of Texas. It will not applicable if you are filing a petition in a state other than Texas.
We would love your feedback on this webinar!
Click the link below to fill out a survey and let us know your thoughts.
February 23, 2022
Victoria Mora, Supervising Attorney, Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES)
Dalia Castillo-Granados, Director, ABA Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA)