CILA and experts from the National Immigration Litigation Alliance (NILA) discussed motions to rescind in absentia removal orders before the immigration judge (IJ) and appealing denials to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and circuit courts. During this training, NILA discussed issues specifically relating to in absentia removal orders, including: • the standards under which IJs can issue in absentia removal orders;
- the consequences of in absentia removal orders;
- how individuals can seek rescission of in absentia removal orders based on exceptional circumstances and/or lack of notice;
- options for individuals who received an in absentia removal order after:
- not receiving oral notice of the consequences of failing to appear, or
- arriving late to their court dates; and
- how to obtain federal court review of an in absentia removal order.
We would love your feedback on this webinar!
Click the link below to fill out a survey and let us know your thoughts.
July 12, 2023
- Trina Realmuto, Executive Director, NILA
- Kristin Macleod-Ball, Senior Staff Attorney, NILA
This training is approved by the State Bar of TX for 1.50 participatory hours of CLE credit until 06/30/2024.
Upon completion of the webinar, please complete the survey below to either obtain the CLE course # that you can use to self-report your credit to the State Bar of Texas or request a letter certifying attendance for attorneys licensed outside of Texas and DOJ Accredited Representatives.