The CILA team recently updated two videos in our Unaccompanied Children and Immigration 101 training series. CILA started this video series in 2019 to provide advocates at nonprofit organizations and pro bono attorneys new to the world of unaccompanied children’s immigration a foundation for working with children in immigration proceedings and common forms of relief. The 101 training series includes nine recorded presentations on a variety of topics.
CILA updated two recorded trainings in September 2023:
- The “Introduction to Working with Unaccompanied Children” presentation provides an overview of the systems designed to care for children who arrive in the United States unaccompanied who are seeking humanitarian protection under U.S. law.
- The “Trauma Informed Lawyering with Unaccompanied Children” presentation reviews the concept of trauma, its impact on unaccompanied children, and gives strategies for incorporating trauma informed principles into legal representation as well as how to advocate for unaccompanied children.
These videos can be shared with new legal and social services staff as well as pro bono attorneys to bring them up to speed with these concepts.
New to CILA? We offer:
- Technical assistance (advocates can ask legal questions and/or social services questions).
- Training and working group meetings.
- Recordings and written resources for new and experienced practitioners.
- A platform, Pro Bono Matters for Children Facing Deportation, featuring current cases in need of pro bono representation.
- 2 CILA newsletters: Champions for Immigrant Youth (monthly newsletter for advocates) and Pro Bono Matters (quarterly newsletter for pro bono attorneys and others who want to follow our work).