CILA is excited to share the link to a recording of a CLE training co-hosted by the American Bar Association (ABA) Commission on Immigration (COI) and CILA in March 2022. The training, Representing Children and Families in Immigration Matters, is geared toward pro bono attorneys and those interested in taking a pro bono case.
The training includes three substantive presentations and a presentation about how to get involved in a pro bono case posted on CILA’s platform, Pro Bono Matters for Children Facing Deportation, and the COI’s platform, Pro Bono Matters for Families Facing Deportation.
Issues covered at the training include:
- Nuts and Bolts: Common Forms of Immigration Legal Relief
- Practice Before USCIS & Removal Proceedings 101
- Interviewing Skills When Working with Children and Families
CILA thanks the speakers from ProBAR, Latino Memphis, Florence Immigrant and Refugee Rights Project, and the Safe Passage Project for sharing their expertise and experience with us.
We invite you to view the complimentary training if you are interested in working on a pro bono case or new to practice.
CLE credit is available for viewing the recorded presentations. The training has been approved by the State Bar of Texas for 3 participatory hours of CLE credit including 0.25 hours of ethics credit until 2/28/2023. If you are not licensed in Texas but plan to seek credit in your jurisdiction, please indicate your state when completing the CLE survey, and CILA can prepare a participation letter ready for you to submit to your Bar or the DOJ for credit. View the training here!
- If you are interested in learning more about volunteering with COI and its projects, please complete this volunteer interest form.
- Visit CILA’s platform to view children’s cases in need of pro bono representation: Pro Bono Matters for Children Facing Deportation.
- Visit COI’s platform to view cases on the dedicated docket for families in need of pro bono representation: Pro Bono Matters for Families Facing Deportation.